Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Splashed!

I hate getting splashed. I mean, I really hate getting splashed. I don't like running through the sprinkler or getting sprayed with the hose. I prefer a bath over a shower any day. I don't even like getting splashed when I'm in the pool. It doesn't matter how wet I already am, I just do not like getting splashed.

The problem is, in life, we get splashed a lot. I have a beautiful drawing that a dear friend drew for me of an image God gave me several years ago. When everything in my life was falling apart, I would curl up in a ball in my bed and cry, begging God to hold me as I cried myself to sleep. God gave me this beautiful image of me as a small child, curled up in His great big hands, with the waves crashing all around underneath us, the lightening striking across the sky, as I slept peacefully and blissfully unaware.

That's a beautiful image and it has carried me through many dark nights of resting in His presence, however it would probably be more accurate if the little girl was sleeping in a wet soppy puddle in God's hands. Oh, how I long to be blissfully unaware of the pain, devastation, and sin that surrounds me! How I would love to snuggle with my Pappa God, unscathed by the storms. But you and I both know that when the storms come, we get splashed, even in the safety of our Creator's hands.

God has offered us many promises in His Word. He has promised never to flood the Earth again (Gen 9:11), He promised to always be with us (Joshua 1:9), He promised to deliver us from bondage if we commit ourselves to Him (1 Samuel 7:3)... but He never promised it would be easy. When He promised to carry us over the storms of life, He never promised that we wouldn't get wet.

I don't know about you, but there have been many occasions that I have found myself floundering about in God's hands, dripping wet, gasping for air, thinking that I might drown in the rain.... forgetting it is HE who creates the rain that holds me. I get so frustrated with the fact that I'm being splashed that I loose sight of the fact that I'm being held safely over a roaring ocean. I get so preoccupied with trying to find an umbrella, that I miss what God is doing for me. I get so mad that there is water in my eyes, preventing me to see what lies ahead, that I forget God is the One carrying me.

Friend, are you getting splashed?? I know I am. Right now I am a soppy, drippy, wet mess. But I am SAVED. I cannot be devoured by the rising waters! I cannot be lost at sea! My Pappa God will NOT turn loose of me. He will hold me safely and securely in His hands.... wet as I am, He will not drop me! Do you know that friend? Do you believe it? Can you wipe the wet hair from your eyes for just a minute to peek out over God's hands and take sight of the roaring storm? Can you see what you are being delivered from? Together, let's be mindful to stop fussing when we get splashed and be grateful that we've been saved!

1 Timothy 1:12 "That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet this is no cause for shame, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him until that day."

1 comment:

  1. Hi there! I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete